Conor Benn signs two-year extension with promoter Eddie Hearn
Welterweight prospect Conor Benn, the son of British legend and former middleweight and super middleweight world titlist Nigel Benn, has signed a two-year promotional contract extension with promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing.
“I’m delighted to extend our agreement with Conor and am very excited about the future,” Hearn said Monday in announcing the new contract. “Conor has become an exciting feature on our shows and at 21 he has so much potential in the sport. [This] is the year he will begin challenging for [regional] titles.”
Benn (11-0, 8 KOs) has been with Matchroom Boxing since turning professional in April 2016. His next fight is scheduled to take place April 21 at Echo Arena in Liverpool, England, on the undercard of the return of welterweight Amir Khan from a 23-month layoff.
Khan, a former unified junior welterweight world titleholder, will face Phil Lo Greco. Benn’s opponent has not been announced.
“I can’t wait to get back out in action on the Khan undercard,” Benn said in a news release. “Liverpool is a great fighting city and I’m looking forward to fighting in front of such a knowledgeable fan base. I want to entertain the fans but I’m still a work in progress.”
Benn suffered two first-round knockdowns in last fight against Cedrick Peynaud, but rallied to drop Peynaud in the fifth and sixth rounds and win a six-round decision,
“The Peynaud fight was a real learning curve but there was a lot of things that went wrong in camp to the last fight,” Benn said. “That aside, I had four great fights last year. I was flat on the night but I’ve learned a couple of lessons from the fight. One of which, I’ve got the will to win which, deep down, I didn’t know I had. A rematch is due. He’s deserved that and I’m sure it’ll happen this year and I’ll win it convincingly.”